I even made Yogurt Ranch Dip, Also to die for! Homemade yogurt is the new norm here in my home.
I only strained a small amount… And noticed when you strain it, it is a lot less tart. So let me break it down and give you the skinny on how to make the best instant pot yogurt you will probably ever eat!
By straining or not straining it allows you to control the level of tart so you can fit your exact preference on yogurt!
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe: How To Make Yogurt In The Instant Pot
Easy Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
When I say easy instant pot Greek yogurt recipe, I mean easy!
Just two simple ingredients and a little time and you can make homemade yogurt. If you have ever made it on the stovetop, you will probably find you prefer making instant pot yogurt recipe over other methods.
Straining gives this yogurt the thicker texture of a greek texture, which is terrific, and the only reason I didn’t strain it all is, this was a spur of the moment decision and it was a good one. This Euro Cuisine GY50 Greek Yogurt Maker for straining.
After straining a few hours you are left with a great tasting, yogurt so thick that your spoon will stand straight up with it!
What you see in the bowl is “greek” or strained yogurt and in the jars below is unstrained. I didn’t add any flavorings to it because I will be using it to cook. But you can add some vanilla extract to this homemade yogurt recipe.
Homemade Yogurt Recipe
Pressure cooking to make yogurt is probably one of the most genius things that you can do in the instant pot, you can boil the milk, and cool the milk in the same pot.
It is a long process to make the yogurt, but the steps are pretty easy to follow and straightforward.
Basically, you heat the milk up in your instant pot, then cool it down to a certain temperature. Then add your yogurt starter and heat again for around 8 hours. This yogurt is 100% worth the time and effort to make.
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
When I was ready to eat it, I added one tsp of Splenda or strawberries for each 1 1/2 cups, and I will never buy yogurt again…
And everyone will be getting Instant Pot Yogurt as gifts from here on out or treated as a parfait when they stop by for a visit.
The flavor of this yogurt tastes so much purer than store bought yogurt, I am now a true fan of yogurt. This instant pot yogurt recipe is the bomb-dot-com.
I also use the plain, unsweetened yogurt to replace sour cream for toppings on tacos or even use this plain yogurt for the base of dips!
Trust me, plain, sweetened, or topped with granola and fruit; you will crave this yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipe
I know that this recipe sounds like a chore because of the long cook time but trust me it is minimal steps in between! The flavor you get is so worth it, and it makes a good amount of yogurt that you and your family can enjoy.
Now if you like to have a lot of tang to your yogurt, just cook it for 10 hours instead of 8, and you will get that more tang factor. Cooking it in the Instant Pot allows you to customize it to fit your taste.
Check these out too?
Helpful tools to make greek yogurt:
Note: Carb count should be lower greek yogurt, once it has been strained due to removing thr liquid.
How To Make Yogurt in The Instant Pot, and this Instant Pot Yogurt recipe is amazing! We even made this Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip. Homemade yogurt is the best.
- 1 gallon milk any but I like to use whole
- 2 tbs yogurt made with only milk and live cultures
- Add 3 to 4 cups of water to your inner pot and put on lid and close the valve
- Turn on 5 minutes high pressure
- When done release pressure, and carefully dump the water and put your inner pot in the fridge
- Allow outer pot to cool completely before moving on to the next step (water will be hot)
- When outer pot has cooled, place your inner pot back in and pour in the whole gallon of milk
Place lid on and lock, press yogurt button, then press adjust until it boil
- Your pot will beep when this cycle is done, remove lid and use a digital thermometer to test temp, I like mine to be between 181 and 185 (if it is not there do the boil cycle again, by turning off your pot and repeating the last step)
When you reach the correct temp, remove your inner pot to allow for cooling, I put mine in a cold water bath and stirred to help. You want the temp to get to 110
Once 110 temp is reached, you can add your starter and any flavor by removing some of the warm milk and adding to that, stirring well then add back to the big pot
- Place inner pot back into the outer pot, replace and lock lid
- Press yogurt button and you will see 8:00
- Once the 8 hours has passed, Place the pot in the fridge for cooling (I honestly skip this step and go right to the next step)
- Either eat as is or you can separate into containers for single serve portions or make greek.
- For thick greek yogurt, strain in the fridge for at least 2 hours (see post for what I use to strain).
- You can freeze strained whey to use later.
The first part of the recipe is to sterilize your pot, this is a very important step in the process.