Every door of every house needs a custom welcome mat, in my opinion. And these easy custom outdoor mats are so simple to make, I’m gonna need a new sarcastic welcome mat for every season.
I had been looking all over for the perfect sarcastic welcome mat to match my smart-mouthed personality. I couldn’t find anything to save my life.
It’s like all the custom welcome mat designers out there have no sense of humor and just want to make your front porch look like your grandma’s. I mean, seriously, porch mats in the store are just so boring.
Then one day, while walking through Joann Fabric. I came across a blank coir doormat and a lightbulb went off. I can make Cricut stencils and make my own custom welcome mat.
You better believe that doormat went into my cart along with a few other supplies, because this project was ON.
But then, of course, I had to come up with something to say, which took some time. But, now that my porch mat is done, I’m super proud.
What You Need to Make A Custom Welcome Mat
This DIY custom welcome mat is way easy to make–so easy, you could make several of them at one time if you wanted so that you could switch them out or even have them at different doors. I’d even dare say that these personalized doormats are perfect for gifts if you have an idea of what your gift recipient might want on a doormat.
So, start with a few ideas for what you’d want on your rug. I tossed out a few, then narrowed it down before settling on one.
You will just need a few things to make your custom welcome mat:
- Blank Coir mat They are usually on sale here
- Permanent adhesive vinyl or Cricut stencil vinyl
- Transfer Tape
- Outdoor paint (even spray paint, just be careful of overspray–but not craft acrylic paint)
- or you can use Flex Seal like this doormat
- Masking tape
- You can grab this design here
Or you can make your design right inside Cricut Design Space, you can do whatever you like. Use an image from Cricut Access or design your own, do only text or a combination of text and illustrations. You can grab free printables and turn them into your own SVGs if you have the skills.
Seriously, the design possibilities are endless. It’s just all about what you want your custom welcome mat to say on your front porch. Just feel free to get as creative as you want–it’s your personalized doormat, after all.
I decided I wanted mine to say, knock hard, but not like you the police, because THAT is a funny doormat. The natural coir fiber outdoor mat is great for cleaning off muddy feet, and the outdoor paint lasts forever no matter the weather conditions.
It gets down into the fibers and sticks really well to the mat. The coir material is a heavy-duty material that is great for indoor or outdoor. It is kind of prickly, though, so I wouldn’t want to use it for a shower rug or anything–bare feet on coir just doesn’t seem like they’d mix too well.
That coir material is great at trapping dirt so it won’t be dragged into your house. Which is the best thing ever about having a doormat, right?!
How to Make a Custom Welcome Mat With Cricut Stencils
To actually make the doormat, you will need to:
- Create a stencil in Cricut Design Space, or upload a pre-made SVG Check out the ones in my shop here
- Cut a stencil with your Cricut machine.
- Apply transfer tape to your stencil (I like to use a piece that has been previously used so it comes off easily, just a trick I’ve learned)
- Press the vinyl onto the mat (it won’t stick completely, but do your best)
- Carefully pull off the transfer paper, leaving your custom stencil behind onto the mat
- Use the masking tape to tape down the design to the floor mat
- With a blow dryer or heat gun, heat the vinyl so that it pulls taut–you want it to be as snug as possible so you have very little squeeze-out
- Apply paint, being careful not to get it anywhere but on the stencil and where you want it to be–no sense in ruining this doormat before you can even get it to the porch
- When done remove the vinyl to reveal your design
Check out these awesome Cricut Projects too:
Cricut cutting machines can make your own custom items so easy and simple. Can you imagine all of the things you could say on a doormat?
Cricut is an amazing way to do all sorts of home improvements to your home. This front door rug is just a start.
Check out all these really adorable projects that I’ve got for using the Cricut–and these are JUST the beginning.
Grab this file in my SVG shop! Click here.
- DIY Unicorn Wall Decal with Free Unicorn SVG
- Cricut EasyPress 2: How To Make A Cute Owl Applique With Your Cricut Maker
- First Day Of Kindergarten: Plus Free SVG Files For Cricut Design Space