I had been looking all over for the perfect outdoor mat to match my smart-mouthed personality. I couldn’t find anything to save my life.
How To Make Custom Outdoor Mats Using Your Cricut
This outdoor doormat is way easy to make. You will just need a few things to make your custom outdoor rug.
- Blank Coir doormat They are usually on sale here
- Permanent adhesive vinyl or Cricut stencil vinyl
- Transfer Tape
- outdoor paint
- masking tape
- Your design
The design possibilities are endless. I decided I wanted mine to say, knock hard, but not like you the police.
The natural coir outdoor mat is great for cleaning off muddy feet, and the outdoor paint lasts forever. It gets down into the fibers and sticks really well to the mat.
The coir material is a heavy duty material that is great for indoor or outdoor. It traps dirt so it won’t be dragged into your house.
To actually make the doormat, you will need to:
- Create a stencil
- Cut a stencil with your Cricut machine.
- Apply transfer Tape to your stencil (I like to use a piece that has been previously used so it comes off easily.
- Press the vinyl onto the mat (it won’t stick completely
- Carefully pull off the transfer paper leaving your custom stencil behind onto the mat
- Use the masking tape to tape down the design to the floor mat
- using a blow dryer or heat gun, heat the vinyl so that it pulls taut.
- Apply paint when done remove the vinyl to reveal your design
Cricut cutting machines make, making your own custom items so easy and simple. Can you imagine all of the things you could say on a doormat?
Cricut is an amazing way to do all sorts of home improvements to your home. This front door rug is just a start.